Facts about Prosecco

28th October 2015

Facts about Prosecco

Most of us have heard by now that Prosecco is taking the world by storm with it’s light, fruity taste and great value. If you want to know a little more, here’s some facts about this popular Italian bubbly:

  • Prosecco comes in two types: Frizzante (lightly sparkling) or Spumante (Fully sparkling).
  • A standard glass of Prosecco has around 121 calories.
  • Prosecco does not ferment in the bottle like Champagne, so it’s best to drink it as young as possible.
  • Prosecco was originally the name of a grape and a place, but once the wine’s popularity grew, more clarification was needed to avoid just anyone using the name ‘Prosecco’. The Prosecco grape was renamed ‘Glera’ in 2010 and the Italian government created designated Prosecco zones.

vineyards

  • Around 150 million bottles of Prosecco are produced each year. Italy consumes around 35% and the other 65% is exported.
  • Other than Italy, the top 3 markets for Prosecco are the UK, Germany and USA.
  • 60 percent of all Prosecco is made in the Conegliano and Valdobbiadene areas. The vineyards here are surrounded by the Alps, giving the grapes the ideal place to grow.
  • Each Prosecco is labelled by which region it’s produced in using DOC or DOCG – DOC is produced from 9 provinces spanning the Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia regions. DOCG can only be made in the Treviso province of Veneto on the hills between the towns of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene.

Read more about Prosecco news, info and brands.

 

Glass of Bubbly Awards Dinner 2019 Booking form

Glass of Bubbly

Glass of Bubbly

Executive editor of news content for the website Please enjoy the articles that we share - We hope you find our love for Champagne & Sparkling Wines both interesting and educational.